According to the report, 67 out of every 100,000 Florida residents die each year from preventable injuries, which puts Florida at number 18 in the national ranking.
To compare, in the state with the most injuries, New Mexico, nearly 1,000 residents suffered a fatal injury each year, and in New Jersey, the state with the least number of injuries, only 36 people suffered a fatal injury.
Common Injury Accidents that Lead to Deaths in Florida and around the Country
- Falls – More than 8 million Americans suffer falls that require medical attention each year, and falls are the leading cause of injury deaths in adults over age 65.
- Car and other vehicle crashes – Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for Americans ages five to 34, with approximately 38,000 people dying in motor vehicle crashes each year.
- Violence-related injuries – Assaults are responsible for more than a million injuries each year.
- Poisoning – Almost 40,000 people die from poisoning deaths each year, with prescription painkillers causing around 15,000 deaths annually.
- Fires – Home fires result in about 2,600 deaths and 13,350 injuries each year.
- Drowning – For children ages one to four, drowning is the leading cause of injury deaths.
It is sobering to think that more than 12,000 Florida residents could avoid death each year if people were simply more careful. Despite the pervasiveness of injuries, however, and awareness that government policies and programs (such as seat belt and drunk driving laws) can greatly reduce injuries, the country’s investment in injury prevention is very limited.
According to the Institute of Medicine, injury prevention receives less than 5 percent of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s total budget.
“The Facts Hurt” shows how personal injury law can help society where the government falls short.
By holding responsible parties accountable for careless or wrongful behavior that harms others, we increase awareness of dangerous situations, and hopefully prevent future injuries that could occur if such behaviors or practices continued.
Also Read: Top 5 Types of Personal Injury Cases
Talk to an Experienced Injury Attorney in Southeast Florida
If you or a loved one has been hurt in an accident caused by another person’s negligence, recklessness, or wrongdoing, you are entitled to compensation for your injuries.
To learn more about how you may obtain a maximum recovery award, please contact Fetterman & Associates for a free initial consultation. We have offices in North Palm Beach and Port St. Lucie, and represent clients throughout southeast Florida.
- What is a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- How to Make a Personal Injury Claim
- How Long Do I Have to File My Florida Personal Injury Claim?
CALL US TODAY FOR A FREE CONSULTATION561-845-2510
Standing Up For Victims’ Rights for Over 40 Years.
A Florida personal injury lawyers that will fight to get you the compensation you deserve.