For mild cases of TBI, there may only be temporary issues, but for more serious traumatic injuries, the damage can be more severe and lead to long-term complications – or worse, death.
TBI can occur in numerous situations, including:
- A car accident
- Slip and fall accident
- Sports injury
- Fight or confrontation
- Shaken baby
Do You Have TBI? Understanding the Symptoms
The symptoms of TBI are often mistaken for other conditions. Because they have such a wide range of physical and psychological effects, it may not be easy to identify TBI right away. But, if these symptoms occur immediately after an injury, it is more likely you have TBI than if they began months or years later.
The symptoms of TBI can include, but are not limited to:
- Loss of consciousness (up to several minutes).
- State of feeling dazed or disoriented.
- Difficulty sleeping.
- Headaches or frequent unexplained migraines.
- Fatigue, bouts of dizziness or vertigo.
- Feeling tired and sleeping more than usual.
- Blurred vision, ringing noises in the ear, unappealing tastes in the mouth, sensitivity to lights or smells, changes to smell.
- Memory or concentration issues.
- Sudden, unexplained mood changes, mood swings, anxiety, or depression.
- Agitation or unusual behavior.
- Slurred speech.
There are instances where TBI goes undiagnosed for weeks or even months after the injury. And, the longer TBI is allowed to continue, the more damage it could do. That is why it is important to seek medical treatment immediately after an accident.
Doctors can examine you for any signs of traumatic brain injury. If you experience symptoms later, mention to the physician about your previous accident so that they can rule out TBI.
Diagnosed with TBI?
If you or a loved one has TBI, then you need to seek counsel from personal injury lawyers in West Palm Beach. The accident and individual(s) responsible for the injury are also responsible for your medical costs and losses associated with the traumatic brain injury.
Contact us today at Fetterman & Associates, PA for a free case evaluation and let us help you recover your losses.