A: You may think that since you weren’t hit by a car, you’re the only one who could possibly be responsible for your bicycle accident in West Palm Beach. But the truth is, many non-vehicular bike accidents in Florida are caused by negligence, and cyclists often don’t realize that their accident was someone else’s fault.
Here are just a few parties that could be responsible for your Florida bicycle accident:
- Roadway officials : If your accident was caused by a pothole, gravel, oil spill or other unsafe roadway condition, city maintenance officials could be liable for your injury.
- Private property owners : If the accident took place on private property, the owner could be responsible if he neglected to maintain proper upkeep and maintenance on the premises.
- Public walking/riding areas : Public walkways are required to be safe for pedestrians and cyclists, including clearing fallen branches, mending broken sidewalks and trimming foliage for clear sight around corners.
- Construction companies : Who do not take proper care of fallen debris, dangerous fluids, heavy equipment or exposed wires in construction areas can easily cause injury to a passing cyclist.
- Bicycle manufacturers, retailers, or repair shops : If your accident was caused by the bike itself-due to malfunctioning parts, accessories or improper repair, the proprietor may be liable for damages.
If you have suffered an injury due to a West Palm Beach bike accident, contact Fetterman & Associates today for a free consultation at 561-845-2510.